Canary Wharf London – Interact System with Air ventilation
Lighting represents around 40% of this building’s total energy consumption – therefore more efficient lighting was a simple and effective way to reduce energy use.
LED lighting can deliver energy savings of up to 75% against fluorescent lighting, and over 80% against incandescent bulbs. With its added flexibility in terms of shape and colour dynamics, as well as its outstanding efficiency and long life, all of these traits combine to make it the lighting standard of the future.
Conversion of buildings lit using T5 fluorescent tubes pose a greater challenge when being converted to LED given the inherent efficiency of these tubes, however when combined with an intelligent control system incorporating daylight dimming and motion sensors significant savings can be achieved.
This case study describes the conversion of T5 600mm x 600mm ceiling panels which had the added complication of being the exhaust vents for the ceiling ventilation system. These were replaced using standard panels made by Philips, adapted for air handling, which were integrated using the Interact Pro wireless system.
Chevron Head Quarters Europe
Chevron Corporation is an American multinational energy corporation, the successor to Standard Oil. Its trading floors and European base are in London in Canary Wharf.
The project amounted to over 1,600 fittings on two floors. The building is in use 24/7 sporadically.
Power on Demand Ltd engaged with Chevron and Sodexo to provide the most appropriate lighting solution. Chevron’s key requirements were:
• Improve the ambiance of the building – the T5 lights had yellowed over time
• Achieve maximum savings possible
• Have as much control over the lighting as possible – for the maintenance staff to be able to dim down lights over the dealers, but make the offices brighter
• Be compatible with the air handling system
• Separate communication to the Internet not linked to Chevron’s comms
• Calculation of a business case covering capital cost, return on investment, finance options and carbon/energy savings.
• Minimal disruption
Our solution was to offer the Philips Interact Pro solution which creates a Buzz network connecting all the lights via wireless which does not interfere with the communication systems of Chevron nor is connected to them. This allows the following benefits:
• Individual lighting control of every luminaire with stats of usage
• Like for like lux levels were 80% of maximum fitting output so longevity of fittings is ensured and the ability to increase brightness is there if needed
• Maintenance staff can control individual fittings via an app on their phones (the company felt giving each staff member access to their light fitting was not a good idea!)
• Motion and lux settings allow for daylight dimming and on/off when no one is in an area. These were set on a 1:6 i.e. one controller to 6 fittings creating pools of light making illumination at night more user friendly.
• Stats of usage per fitting allows further savings by tighter control of lighting – dimming some down further if high lux levels are not required – some staff want their lights dimmed down to see their computers screens more easily – others don’t
From our assessment, our team provided a full robust business case for the LED replacement programme.
The site would benefit from:
• More than 500,000 kWh saved in electricity annually.
• Over £50,000 reduction in energy savings in Year 1 alone, and over £650,000 savings over ten years.
• Reduction of the site’s carbon footprint by over 290 tonnes.
The full installation of this turnkey project took 15 days using a team of six men to complete and commission, with our team managing the process in London during full lockdown from Corona virus.
The Difference in Lighting Areas
As well as being more efficient than the existing T5 lighting, the Philips LED lights provide a better quality of light. LED provides a sharper lighting environment and brighter working areas, whilst also significantly reducing energy costs.
The following pictures clearly show the difference in the lighting before the installation compared to after its completion. At the time of installation this project is the largest of its type using Interact Pro in Europe.
You can be sure of our professionalism, which is confirmed by numerous projects. If you are interested in cooperation, please contact us.